Monday, October 27, 2008

Such a letdown.

As much as I hate to do it, as much as I feel like I'm failing my country when it needs me the most, I think I'm going to have to break the streak tomorrow. The number of consecutive days that I've ridden my bike to work will stop at 65.

My left knee is just too unhappy with the way things are going right now, and it's going to need at least a day of rest, maybe two or three. I rode in today, and it wasn't so bad on the way in, because that's mostly flat or downhill, but there was steady pain on the way home, and climbs were pretty unpleasant. I tried lowering the saddle a little, but that just changed the focus of the pain from the back of the knee to the sides of the knee, which actually felt worse.

I was really hoping that I was going to be able to get 100 miles in for October, but I'm not sure if that's going to be a possibility at this point. I'm at 46 right now, which means I'd need another 54 by the end of Friday. I suppose if I take tomorrow and Wednesday off and everything feels better, I might be able to ride on Thursday and Friday, and then I'd hit 100 without too much trouble. We'll see.

Having to take a month off to recover from major head trauma was a real bummer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might have ITB syndrome (mine is lateral knee but supposedly it can occur in the back of the knee) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_Band_Syndrome

I had that pain in my lateral knee during the century (and earlier 30-60 mile rides) and went to physical therapy. They showed me a bunch of stretches, which I did every day for the last two weeks before doing the 65 mile portion of the fall rally over the weekend. No pain whatsoever.